Thursday, September 6, 2007

Sweater Break-Up Songs

A few days ago at work, I got a song stuck in my head. This happens all the time. But on this particular remembrance of "that country song," as I have known it as, I came to an amazing realization. Break-up songs tend to contain the word "sweater." I found this intriguing as I recalled other songs I know of, some of which are listed at the end of this post.

Why? Why are sweaters so personal? Why do we worry about where our sweaters are when we break up with someone? Maybe it’s because once you wear a sweater a few times, it becomes an extension of you. It is stretched and pulled, keeping it’s misshapen state for the rest of its life. It takes on your scent. How dare your ex keep your sweater! It’s yours.

Upon digging deeper, it also becomes evident that guys are the ones worried about their sweaters. No girls here. I can see why this is. The sweaters I own would look rather silly on a member of the opposite sex. (Imagining…) Yes. Yes, they would. (Smile.)

What are your thoughts on this matter? And can you think of any other sweater break-up songs? How many are there?

Cake: It’s Coming Down
It's coming down.
It's coming down.
It's raining outside.
You've nowhere to hide.
She's asking you
Why you think it's funny.
It's coming down.
It's coming down.
She's leaving your house.
She had to get out.
She's mad,
And she'll take her mattress with her.
It's coming down.
It's coming down.
It's coming down.
You lie on the floor.
She's slamming your door.
She's gone,
And she's wearing your red sweater.

Keith Urban: You’ll Think of Me
Take your records, take your freedom
Take your memories I don’t need ‘em
Take your space and take your reasons
But you’ll think of me
And take your cat and leave my sweater
Cause we have nothing left to weather
In fact Ill feel a whole lot better
But you’ll think of me, you’ll think of me

Weezer: Undone – The Sweater Song
If you want to destroy my sweater
Hold this thread as I walk away
Watch me unravel,
I'll soon be naked
Lying on the floor (lying on the floor)
I've come undone

2 comments:

Melody said...

That song's by Weezer? I had no idea. Fascinating.

Anonymous said...

I am Maris, and i am here on this site to give thanks to Dr.Agbazara for the good work he did in getting my relationship back on track. Myself and my lover had some dispute which lead to our break up. But through the help of Dr.Agbazara i was able to get her back within 48 hours for this reason i will be dropping the contact information of Dr.Agbazara on this site for those that need his help to contact him on Whatsapp via ( + 234 810 410 2662 ) or email: ( agbazara@gmail.com )