Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Goodbye summer

In case you're wondering, no, I do not always stay up this late. Tonight is the exception.

As we are leaving summer and moving toward fall, let me bid the warmer months goodbye in my own special way...

One of my favorite parts about spring and summer is the mowing of lawns. I have only mowed my family's lawn for a total approximate time of two minutes. (I decided this was plenty for a lifetime.) But I love hearing the distant sound of a lawnmower going about its business. I find the hum cheerful and comforting. It says, "The sun is shining! Come outside and join me!"

One of the few things I like better than hearing a lawnmower is smelling freshly cut grass. The smell is sweet and refreshing, lingering hours and sometimes days after the actual cutting. Once you sense it, you just have to stop and take a deep breath to get the full effect.

This leads me to an idea I came up with earlier this year. As far as I know, no one else has carried these ideas out, so please don't steal my genius.

I would like to develop and market a set of grass clippings aromatheraphy candles along with a relaxation cd entitled "Hummings of the Lawnmower." I realize the cd will more than likely receive mixed reviews. However, I believe it will have a very practical use in soothing infants to sleep. And it's a much more manly Father's Day gift than the selections of "Babbling Brook" or "Whispers of the Wind."

I do believe, though, that the aromatherapy candles will be more widely accepted. And not just accepted, but acclaimed. So often scents are called "rain" or "spa." But what does "rain" smell like? Doesn't it actually have a distinct dustiness to it? And afterward, there is the smell of worms hanging in the air. And who knows what "spa" really smells like. But my soon to be patented "grass clippings" aromatherapy candles will not only truly smell like grass clippings, they will also smell amazing in doing so!

So in these next few weeks, the next time you hear someone mowing his or her lawn, smile. The next time you smell freshly cut grass, stop and breathe. For it won't be long before these summer treasures will fade away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as far as the scent, I'm sorry but yankee already came out with that fragrance, that nobody bought. As far as the CD though you might have something :)

Emily said...

What! "Grass Clippings" candles have already been produced?! I must get in on this!

Emily said...

Well, I looked on the Yankee candle website, failing to see any such grass clippings candle. However, I did find a "Freshly Cut Grass" over at www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk. Here is an excerpt from their site:

Freshly Cut Grass Candle is one from Lily Flame's range, which really are the nicest scented candles we have ever seen or smelt. We just wish smellovision computers have been invented so you can enjoy all the beautiful smells in the range.

The Freshly Cut Grass Candle smells just like freshly cut grass and will remind you of summer. The other great thing about these candles are you don't need to light them to enjoy the beautiful smell, we guarantee you will not be disappointed.


I am hesitant to admit they seem to have marketed their candle well, even down to the name. Much more of a pleasant feel than my crappy name. My name conjures up walking through wet grass with it clinging to your shoes.