Friday, November 9, 2007

Hickspeak

The other night at supper I was reminded of my hick roots. I've let it out. Feel free to shun me.

My parents and I were talking about the interesting and not so interesting parts of our day. During our conversation, certain words were brought up. They included "will" and "filling." My mom and I pronounce them like most of you probably would. My dad, though, says "wheel" and "feeling."

My dad's parents are worse. "Wash" becomes "warsh." And if I'm correct, "tour" (a fluid "too-er") becomes "ter." Unfortunately, that is all I can remember right now. Maybe in a future point in time I'll compile a hick vocabulary list.

2 comments:

Melody said...

Nice. It isn't hickspeak, but I have a friend from northern-ohio who pronounces "roof" as "ruff" and "room" as "rum. There are others, but I don't recall them. I just remember teasing her whenever she talked about her "rummate"

Anonymous said...

don't feel bad, I am also a fellow hick. My mom's family is from Kentucky and whenever I come within 10 feet of them I will suddenly gain a southern twaign in my speech. My dad also has a strong southern accent, supposedly from going through basic in Kentucky. Oh well I guess since Hoosier means hillbilly it is only time before we show our true roots