Saturday, October 6, 2007

Passing

My dad just finished talking to me again about my family, my ancestors, my blood. Today's topic was "passing as white."

Apparently, it is pure luck that as I walk down the street you cannot tell that I am Miami Indian. Nevermind that I am only 1/64th. In my mind, of course I'm going to look white! I'm 63/64 white!

You don't see me scavenging for berries or hunting squirrels with bow and arrow. Instead, I get in a car and drive to the supermarket. And if I get mad at someone, I stew about it or confront them. I don't take out my axe and holler like a banshee. (I'm sure my ancestors didn't do this all the time. Just some of the time.) :)

Also, if you happen to see my father, don't get him started on what the government owes us. He is very much a believer in small government, but he also thinks the government should keep their word (even if it is unlikely.) If I am correct, years ago, the government bought "our" land from "us." In return, we were supposed to receive a certain number of animals on our doorstep every so often. (I believe they were to be pigs.) Either the government never made good or they stopped not long after starting. So we've been scammed!

8 comments:

Emily said...

I decided to read up on my ancestors. (I hear stories from my dad, but I don't know basic details of their life.)

Apparently, we "had the reputation of being slow-spoken and polite." But cross us by eating our children while our men are away, and you will be punished severely!

http://www.dickshovel.com/mia.html

Jonathan Erdman said...

You don't see me scavenging for berries or hunting squirrels with bow and arrow.

I have been caught doing all of the above....Seriously, though, even though my ancestors weren't around at the time I would like to help make good on the promise. Tell your parents to expect a pig on your doorstep tomorrow morning.

Unknown said...

Actually, I owe myself more pigs than I am owed, if you think about it.

Unknown said...

But that doesn't make any sense!

Beautifully Profound said...

Maybe it's a good thing, too much bacon will give you a heart attack

Emily said...

Jon -- Apparently the art of giving someone a pig has been lost. You don't just leave a pig on someone's doorstep w/out tying it to anything. It could wander off! Who knows what damage it is currently causing to my neighborhood!

Melody said...

Nothing you can't blame on the local deer.

"What? That wasn't a pig left in payment for my ancestors' land that was eating your bushes - it was a deer. A small, pink deer."

Unknown said...

I like this line of thought. Blame everything on the deer. I'm surprised this tidbit of wisdom isn't found in Proverbs.