Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Emily-Speak

I think my mind and my mouth operate on separate levels. There's probably a snag in the connection somewhere, because I keep creating new words. Maybe I'm a character in a sci-fi in which my programming has malfunctioned... Or was I programmed this way?

In elementary school I started to notice this "gift." It would show in switching what already exists. Like dipasear instead of disappear. Or deepin' breathly instead of breathing deeply. (Doing math at this time was tricky. 56 would become 65, etc.)

Now it's more of combining words or thoughts. Today, instead of saying inanimate object, I said inadjimate. And instead of pitiful or little, I said plitiful. I guess such vocabulary could be a time-saver while increasing the description. But doesn't it taint words and their meanings?

I dare anyone to converse with me and walk away understanding everything I've said (or what I meant to say). Maybe I need to compile an Emily-speak dictionary for anyone who comes upon me...

Me: Gobble-de-gook de blah blah!
Person: Huh?
(I point to dictionary tied to my neck. Person looks up above Emily-speak.)
Person: Ah! I never thought of it that way!

4 comments:

Melody said...

lol - well I think as long as you know what you're trying to say, you're not doing too badly ;)

Beautifully Profound said...

I've got a few words posted called "Erica-isms" tucked away on my blog. It happens, and after awhile, you just have a whole new language. Personally, I believe it can be BLOODY brilliant.

Emily said...

Erica, if you happen to know where they're at, let me know!

Beautifully Profound said...

12-2-2005


that's where it is, not so much a mixture of two words as just words I made up and re invented. There has been some additions that Mik and I have made. So maybe I should do a bigger Erica-ism dictionary.