Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Arby's

Yesterday on my way to class I broke down... I got fast food. As I was approaching the Arby's at an intersection, my steering wheel mysteriously turned. Instead of going straight, I pulled into the parking lot and walked inside.

Immediately I felt out-of-place. The clientele at the particular Arby's/gas station/truck stop were all male and had at least one of the following: stubble/a scruffy beard, a tattoo(s), and roughed-up clothing. I think most had all three. Everyone stared at me like I was a lost little girl. But they all had pleasant looks on their faces, so I wasn't freaked out. (After all, no one was winking at me.) ;)

While scarfing down an Arby's roast beef sandwich with 2/3 of a packet of Arby's sauce in my car before continuing on my journey, I felt like a pig. Scarf, scarf! I don't do this all the time, I told myself. And so it begins...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think everyone needs to break down now and then. At least you didn't scarf down a super sized Big Mac meal :)

Emily said...

True. I guess a roast beef sandwich isn't that bad. It's just that since I wasn't planning on stopping, it seemed taboo.

Beautifully Profound said...

Hey, you need to give yourself a treat every now and again. Or else you will end up going crazy and binging on everything. Trust me, I know I did the cabbage soup diet.

Jonathan Erdman said...

Emily: The clientele at the particular Arby's/gas station/truck stop were all male and had at least one of the following: stubble/a scruffy beard, a tattoo(s), and roughed-up clothing.

Sounds like me ever since I left accounting!

I think most had all three. Everyone stared at me like I was a lost little girl.

Do you get this quite often?!!?

Emily said...

Me: ...stubble/a scruffy beard, a tattoo(s), and roughed-up clothing.

Jon: Sounds like me ever since I left accounting!

So you got a tattoo, huh? I'm sure you chose a message that conveys to the world your deep passion for accounting!

Jon: Do you get this quite often?!!?

You know, I was just thinking about that this morning. I probably do look a little clueless/lost a lot of the time.

On this one occurence, though, I was concerned about time and when I saw a bit of a line, I was considering just leaving. This momentary dilemma probably showed in my facial expression.