Monday, August 11, 2008

Note to Self No. 32

When a friend gives you advice, listen to it. (And that means all of it, not just part of it.)

This weekend I tried something new... tanning. This wasn't for vanity's sake, at least that's what I'd like to think. This was for the sake of my bridesmaid dress. I had developed a slight farmer's tan over the summer and thought a little tanning bed action might help me out. Upon hearing of my plans, a friend or two cautioned me to only go a few minutes. I agreed with them, but when it came down to it, I added a few more minutes.

The ten on Friday were okay; part of me only became slightly pink. After a couple days, I decided to up my time to 15 minutes on Sunday. I followed this with my usual Sunday afternoon nap, after which, I awoke to slight stiffness. As the evening wore on, my shades of pink quickly darkened to [wait for it] red. So my tanning escapades have probably come to an end.

As I moved around last night and today, I remembered scenes from the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy gets burnt to a crisp. And I definitely had a moment last night in which I could have sworn I was going to lose my supper. But my usual routine, which includes immediately sipping cool water, quickly subdued the situation.

However, the tanning hasn't made things much worse. I think it did even out my previous tan lines a little, and most of the red will be covered by the dress. And there's still several days for it to significantly fade.

Now if I only had a few bruises, my patriotic look would be complete.

No comments: