Monday, December 3, 2007

Christmas Hoopla

Last week someone asked me a question that I had never been asked before. And "Do you go to Grace?" was not it. The question? Drum roll please...

"Are you Jewish?"

A client and I were making small talk and we came to the topic of what we are and aren't doing for Christmas. I mentioned that my family doesn't do much, which brought on the aforementioned question. I smiled and responded with something like, "No, we're Christian. We just don't do much."

When my brother and I were younger and we had family in the area, Christmas was a bit of a production... Christmas tree all decked out, presents waiting under said tree, stockings stuffed the night before, loads of expectation, going to my grandparents' home, etc., etc.

Now it's basically Thanksgiving repeated, except we eat ham instead of turkey and we have a couple of decorations sprinkled throughout the house. And I guess we do give each other some presents, but they're very practical and/or inexpensive. That's how it goes.

I get the impression that most holiday gatherings (or non-gatherings) tend to be like this unless there are children involved. Then that's when the hoopla shows up.

3 comments:

Melody said...

Very true, Robin and I were just discussing this the other day. You don't really go to the trouble of making it super special unless there are younger kids.

Which honestly makes me wish there were younger kids around just because them being excited would be fun...but probably it wouldn't be nearly as idealic as it plays out in my head...

Oh well.

Anonymous said...

This is one good thing about my family. We still have the big hoopla of Christmas. Mike has already complained that our apartment is Christmas central. I love the Christmas season and all the hoopla. Even if there are no small kids involved I love to have Santa gifts and family gatherings. I hope this fun never dies.

Emily said...

Mirana, yeah for your Christmas hoopla! I hope it doesn't get the dogs too riled up.