Saturday, May 3, 2008

Weekend in Review

Friday night I found myself perusing the shelves at Blockbuster. After looking for non-cookie cutter movies, I walked out with two:

Lars and the Real Girl tells the story of a twenty-something guy who wants a relationship but is too scared of a real one. His solution? Get a life-size doll online and dote on her as if she was real. His sincerity is endearing, but what also stands out is how his family and small town embrace him and his "girlfriend." The care and patience they modeled is uplifting and moving.


I followed this up with Once: a musical set in Ireland which captures the friendship between a guy and a girl. I knew it was a movie and not a documentary, but it felt real. The flow of it and the earnest lyrics gave me the feeling that I was peering into the lives of these characters that meet, share their lives and their music, and then part ways. The sense of community that the music created is what sticks with me.

No comments: