Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Psycho Bird

Last week I started hearing an occasional thud coming from my boss's office. I thought it a little odd but dismissed it as some random thing that didn't matter. Later I found out that a robin seems to have taken a liking to my boss. It'll stand on the ground just below his window, fly up, peck once at the window, and drop back down to the ground. It'll do this several times in a row.

So this week my boss drew a rough sketch of a cat and taped it to the window to see what effect this might have. Unfortunately the bird is not frightened by pieces of paper. At lunch today, when I sat in the back room near the popular window, I heard it. Thud. Silence... Thud. Silence...

The bird's at it again, I thought. And yes it was. I must have heard close to two dozen thuds in just a few minutes. I was fine with the first few, but after a while I just started laughing and couldn't stop. Well, I could for a moment, but then I'd start shaking again and tears would well up in my eyes. Once I managed to take a bite of my tasty lunch, I could focus on chewing and not be fazed by any psycho birds.

So what is this bird's problem? One theory, which is not mine, is that the bird was out drinking at a bar because it's girlfriend broke up with it. Another theory, which is mine, is that it was sent on a mission to give my boss an important message. But alas! The MapQuest directions didn't explain that the window would be closed!

6 comments:

Miranda said...

Being a zoology major you think I would have a clue as to why a robin has fallen for an aging man, but alas no clue (so much for college). Maybe you need to invest in a real cat (or a robin friend). :)

Unknown said...

Yeah. It was mentioned that if the area smelled of cat, maybe the bird would go away.

Ken said...

you should set out some rice. :)

Emily said...

Would the rice attract the cats, to scare the bird, to keep it away, to keep Karl sane?

(to be sung to the tune of "I knew an old lady")

Miranda said...

No, rice would kill the bird, to feed the cat, to keep Karl sane! (same tune) :)

Unknown said...

Aaahh. That works, too.