Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Trick-or-Treating

My latest poll has surprised me. Five of us voted, and four claim to have trick-or-treated every year as a child. I thought there'd be at least one "never" and a few more "sometimes," because surely there'd be at least one of us whose parents thought Halloween was absolutely 100% evil. Apparently not.

I will identify myself as the one and only "sometimes." My trick-or-treating experiences include:

  • My mom, brother, and I attempted to go door-to-door in our neighborhood one year, but either we were hours early or we had the wrong day, so we just never did it.
  • After I attended a "harvest" party with some church friends, their parents took us to a few houses of people we knew.
  • My mom took my brother and me to a nursing home that was all decked out. I think they gave away candy there, too.

2 comments:

Melody said...

Oh dear!

Those are sad trick-or-treating experiences!

Well, my parents weren’t sure how they felt about trick-or-treating because we had a lady at our church who was reformed witch and she told us it as evil...but it was hard for them to figure out how dressing up and asking for candy was evil, so we did it anyhow.

I think the worst part for them was that we really didn’t have money for costumes so one year I went as a blue cat...because that was the only kind of fabric my mom had and all of us dressed up as pippi-longstocking on multiple occassions because all you really need is a couple coat hangers and some paint (for freckles). Really, I determined what my sisters would dress up as in future years because my mom sewed me a costume and then it just kept getting reworn. So Laura Ingles Wilder, Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, a sock hop girl, a princess - all frequent repeats.

Good times.

Unknown said...

All good, wholesome costumes! I only remember being Minnie Mouse and a princess. I might have been a scarecrow one year.