Thursday, July 17, 2008

Nightly Conversation

Monday night I didn't fall asleep until 5 a.m. Wednesday it was 4 a.m. There is a plus side to this. I get to spend time with my brother who doesn't come home during the week until 2 a.m. So we've been talking.

Last night was Watch C-SPAN and Make Fun of the Democrats Night. Loads of fun. Honestly, the average republican was more respectful, articulate, and fact-focused than his democratic counterpart. It was almost unreal at times.

We also found ourselves on a bit of a rabbit trail. It went something like this:
Me: Do you want to see The Dark Knight on Saturday?
Bro: No. What is it?
Me: It's the new batman movie.
Bro: It has Heath Ledger as the joker, doesn't it? A female coworker of mine was raving about him at lunch.
Me: I'm not surprised.
Bro: It was so annoying when he died. That's all the girls on campus were talking about. They were walking around campus holding up dvds with his face on them saying, "Heath Ledger this. Heath Ledger that. OMG!" So I joined in after awhile... "Heath Ledger? Heath Ledger! Heath Ledger!!!??" [sporting a crazed look on his face].
Me: That's mean.
Bro: So?
Me: Can Heath Ledger help it if he makes girls swoon?
Bro: No, he can't help it if he makes girls swoon. But it's counterproductive to society. They [the swooning girls] could use their time better. In the 19th century the national pastime was politics. Now it's sports and entertainment.
Me: You like sports.
Bro: Yes, but it doesn't consume me. If a team wins or loses, it doesn't really have an effect on me.

At one point it shifted in direction to:
Bro: I can't tell if a guy is hot or not. I don't look at guys that way.
Me: That's good to know.

My brother's the best.

No comments: