Monday, January 14, 2008

Ice Skating

Ken and I went ice skating on Saturday. Overall it was a good experience, but now I'm sore from slamming into the ice. Amazingly I didn't fall more than I did. (The counter stopped at 3.5 falls--the half representing my ability to catch myself on the wall.) And the only people to see me fall were Ken and a bunch of strangers.

I have the opinion that if you have to make a fool of yourself, it's best to do it in front of close friends and family or strangers. Your friends and family already know you're strange, so why would you care if they witness one more unflattering thing. And strangers will probably never see you again, so you're covered there. But don't cause yourself embarrassment in front of acquaintances. They know you enough to recognize you again, but they don't know you enough to hardly care what you do.

8 comments:

Melody said...

Good thoughts on embarrasment. I totally agree.

Have you never been ice-skating before?

Unknown said...

This weekend was my second time. The first time was three years ago in Grand Rapids with some college friends. I had managed to fall directly onto my ankle and "had" to use crutches for a week. (I cheated.)

Anonymous said...

I am extremely jealous! I have been asking Mike to take me ice skating for the past 3 years and we have still yet to go. We should all go together sometime!

Unknown said...

Okay, but I'm warning you to stay at least 3 feet away from me at all times while on the ice. Otherwise you're asking for it!

Melody said...

You'll probably be a lot better at it the next time you go.

Were you at an outdoor rink or indoors?

Unknown said...

Mike won't take you ice skating? what kind of a boyfriend is he?!
ok, just kidding, but really he should take you. Where can you go ice skating in Warsaw anyway? I love ice skating but never knew anywhere to go around there...in the recent past I've only been ice skating here in Bloomington and in the Chicago area.

And Em, I definitely agree with your thoughts on embarrassment. I'm really glad to see others who see it that way. I recently said something similar to a friend, and he didn't really agree. But then, said friend and I disagree about a lot of things, so I probably shouldn't let that bother me.

Melody said...

There's no where to ice-skate in Warsaw unless you go out on a lake.

There are two rinks in South Bend, one indoor and one outdoor, and there is one rink in Ft. Wayne that is indoor.

Unknown said...

We went to an outdoor rink near downtown Ft. Wayne.