Thursday, June 5, 2008

Converging Paths

Last night, part of me was thinking I might be carried off by a tornado. The night sky I was driving into wasn't just storming. It had a smattering of that crazy, hazy yellow along with dark, menacing clouds that made me think of "The Wizard of Oz." The radio station would occasionally pause to warn of weather that could form into tornadoes passing from Marshall county's southwest corner to its northeast corner. Our paths were converging.

So as I was driving, I:

1) continued to listen to music, but turned it down on occasion so I could catch any possible strange noises that might clue me in on an approaching tornado.

2) looked around me for funnel clouds that might start to form.

3) made sure there were other people on the road, too. (The fail-safe "if everyone else is doing it, it must be okay" thought.)

4) prayed that God would keep me safe and I would know what to do if something happened.

5) told myself that if I saw a funnel cloud approaching me, I would pull over (hopefully by an empty field with little around me) and lie down in a ditch (making sure to take my purse with me but leaving my sweater in the car so it might avoid possible damage... me and my sweaters).

6) pictured scenes from the movie "Twister."

No, I'm not completely crazy. I have lived in Indiana all my life, so the thought of tornadoes doesn't freak me out. But when there's the possibility of their formation, I'm normally in my house with family, not driving on a road alone.

And then my brother almost hit a deer last night on his way home from work...

1 comment:

Melody said...

Sounds like fun times!