Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hypothetically Speaking

Last night my prof was inserting a hypothetical example into the class period to flesh out a thought. Her example involved a couple of guys talking about their girlfriends at work. At this, the guys in class started to chuckle. Noticing this, the prof corrected herself saying the guys in the hypothetical situation were actually talking about sports or some other topic.

From my knowledge, guys seem to talk about sports, television, movies, current events, and other random topics. If a guy has a wife, he might talk about her. But guys do not talk about their girlfriends, at least not in a chatty way.

4 comments:

Ken said...

I would say not typically, or at least not as much as girls? but the conversations do come up on rare occasions.

I guess we have more important things to talk about...

Oh, wait, scratch that last thought.

Unknown said...

This needs to be researched. Maybe I should leave my life as I know it and go undercover for a 6-month period to find the answer out. At its finish I will return with an indepth piece for which I will win an award!

Melody said...

You're right. Guys only talk about their girlfriends to complain or talk about how weird they are.

Jonathan Erdman said...

Good observations.

My married friends talk about their wives even less than they did when they were dating.